Our School Our Legacy

We are Mid-Michigan’s premier Montessori School.  It is the people that make our school an exceptional place for your child to learn and grow.

Montessori Radmoor School respects the inherent dignity, worth, and uniqueness of each individual and does not discriminate in the administration of any of its programs or policies on any basis including but not limited to ethnicity, family structure, gender identity, geographic origins, race, religion, and sexual orientation.

The Montessori Radmoor School, founded in 1968, practices the philosophy of education started by    Dr. Maria Montessori.

As the first Montessori school in Mid-Michigan, our school started out with an enrollment of 18 children in an Okemos church.  In 1969 two more preschool classes were organized and the school moved to larger quarters in St. John’s East.  An elementary junior class was added to the program in the fall of 1973.

In July of 1974, after several years of searching, 8.5 acres of land on Mt. Hope road was purchased as the site for a future Montessori School.  A special permit was obtained from the Meridian Township, and the development campaign that had begun earlier in the year was expanded.  The school on Mt. Hope opened it’s doors on January 6th, 1976.

Our school continued its pattern of growth by expanding to an elementary program and opening an addition to the existing building on Sunday, May 3rd, 1981.  Almost ten years later the west wing was added to house the toddler program and a beautiful multi-purpose room.  January of 1990 marked the opening of the toddler program.

In 2003 a second toddler room and new entrance was added to the building.  After many years of planning and fundraising, our school constructed a greenhouse in 2010.  The greenhouse is entitled, “Serra Calda” and is incorporated into the curriculum of all our classrooms.  In 2012, we acquired adjoining property to the southwest corner of our property to further expand our precious green space.

Today, the Montessori Radmoor School enrolls approximately 140 children from ages 18 months to 12 years of age.  The two toddler programs, three preschool programs  and two elementary programs utilize the Montessori philosophy to cultivate and motivate from within the child, his or her own natural desire to learn.

All though Dr. Montessori died in 1952, her work continues.  We are proud to share in the dream of Dr. Montessori along with thee close 5,000 private and approximately 200 public Montessori schools in the United States.  Montessori schools exist around the world in Russia, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, South Africa, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Mexico, Columbia, India and many other countries.

Our Staff

  • Administrator has over 20 years of experience
  • Entire staff is dedicated to the development of the whole child
  • All lead teachers are either AMI or AMS certified
  • All support staff receives extensive yearly professional development

Our Legacy

  • Founded in 1968
  • 1st Montessori school in mid-Michigan
  • AMI (American Montessori International) Association recognized school
  • Extensive ties to the East Lansing, Okemos and surrounding community

Board of Trustees

  • Wide range of expertise and business background
  • Fulfills several specialized committee duties including facilities, technology and marketing
  • Support school’s mission and vision
 
 

Parent Guardian Association

  • Organizes community building events
  • Supports staff appreciation efforts
  • Produces school directory, runs t-shirt sales and other initiatives
  • Extensive yearly professional development

Alumni Association 

  • Leaders in various industries and professions
  • Alumni events held annually
  • Over 1000 graduates
  • Alumni newsletter published quarterly

Natural Environment

  • Located on 10 acres of beautiful wooded space
  • School-run greenhouse
  • Wooded trails, ponds and observation deck

CONTACT US